Episode 017 Essential Oils
Episode 017 Essential Oils
This week we get to have tons of fun while we explore the amazing benefits and uses of essential oils! I have touched on essential oils very briefly but wanted to dive a bit deeper today.
Essential oils are nothing new. They have been around for years and are used in tons of our commercial products (naturally and artificially)
I have been experimenting consistently with essential oils for the last 2 years, but started playing around with scents and oils ages ago.
Today we will cover using essential oils for:
I believe the most familiar way to use essential oils is for aromatherapy. Aromatherapy is the practice of using natural oils and smells to enhance physical well being.
Think of using candles to make to make the house smell like baked cookies. The smell of vanilla and sugar make you feel comforted and at home. It also probably triggers a very specific memory; maybe a time where you baked cookies in the past. That is aromatherapy in its simplest form.
Perfume is aromatherapy. The commercial formulas are scientifically created to induce a specific reaction. Some perfumes have even been matched for sexual attraction! Now that is aromatherapy!!
It's all aromatherapy. Let's start with a few that I use:
Ylang Ylang Oil is great for my vata people out there. This oil has calming properties which help with nervousness, anxiety, and stress. It has a sweet and flowery smell that helps ground vata dominant people down.
- You can use this oil as a perfume by adding a few drops to your wrist. Rub them together and distribute over your body.
- Another way to use Ylang Ylang oil is to add a few drops into your moisturizer.
Peppermint Oil is a wonderful oil for my pitta people. Peppermint has a sweet, cooling property to it which helps balance the energetic pitta personality. Also peppermint is a wonderful helper for headaches which can be a common problem for pitta people.
Be careful when using peppermint oil because it is very strong. Never apply directly to the skin (it can burn). Instead use a neutral oil such as coconut, almond, or jojoba oil to mix with it.
Here's how to use peppermint oil.
- Put a few dabs in the place where you feel your headache and massage in
- Sprinkle a few drops in some steaming water and breathe it in
- Make a tea to help digestive issues with 2-3 drops in a mug of warm water
Grapefruit Oil is perfect for my kapha dominant people out there. Grapefruit essential oil has an energetic bright property that helps cafes get up and moving. Grapefruit also helps with bloating which can be a common cause of weight gain for kapha people.
- Place a few drops on your wrist to use as a perfume
- Add into foods or tea with ginger and lemon
- Use as a room fresher by adding a few drops in a spray bottle to brighten your room
The way I mostly use essential oils is as medicine. Essential oils are a powerful and natural way of healing yourself. I would much rather invest in essentials oil where I know the ingredients than fill my medicine cabinet with medicines of all kinds from the drugstore. I am so careful about what I eat and the quality of my food, why would I treat my medicines any different.
Did you know that anbesol (the pain reliever for mouth pain) is just a synthetic replacement for clove oil.
Clove Oil is my go to medicine for any gum or tooth pain. If I have sore guy or a tooth that is hurting I will use clove oil to get rid of the pain. I also use it in my homemade mouthwash.
- If you are having any gum issues take 2-3 drops in warm water and gargle with it several times.
- You can also put a few drops in some coconut oil and apply it directly on the trouble spot
Black Pepper Oil- This oil is by far one of my favorites, because I know when I use it my sore muscles will be gone 100% of the time. Black pepper oil has heating properties that are so much better than anything you can get at your drugstore.
My sister pulled her back and tried icy hot, heat patches but was still miserable. She got 0% relief from what she was using. I told her to get black pepper oil and she had relief within 12 hours! That right there is proof that you don't need complicated medicines to help you out.
This is another strong one so mix it in with a neutral oil.
- Apply the mixture to the trouble spot and massage on your sore muscles. You can use a heating pad or hot towel to get deeper into the muscles
Black pepper oil is great after a crazy dance call, or a kick ass workout. You won't be disappointed.
Lemon Oil- So you sang your face off and now your voice is gone! May I introduce lemon oil to the rescue. Yes you could drink lemon tea, but the beautiful thing about essential oils is that they are super concentrated. The oil is stronger than your average lemon.
- Use this one in a tea. Add a few drops into warm water. You can boost the medicinal effect by adding some raw honey. Drink as many times as needed.
One last way you can use essential oils is in your self care routine. Whether it be for cleaning, beauty, or relaxation there is something out there for you.
Tea Tree Oil- This oil is the best all natural cleaner I can think of. It's way less toxic and expensive than commercial cleaners. Tea tree oil is what you usually smell when you walk into a spa or yoga studio. It's antiseptic properties blast away germs without adding harsh chemicals to your house.
- Add a few drops to a spray bottle. Fill with water. Use to wipe counters and for general cleaning around the house
Lavender Oil- This oil is one of my favorites. I use it almost daily! Lavender's properties lead this oil to help with anxiety, headaches, and insomnia. I also just love to use it in my air diffuser to make the room smell amazing. Every time I use lavender I feel so relaxed!
- Try adding a few drops into your bath water for a relaxing evening
- Add a few drops to a small spray bottle with water and mist on your pillow before you go to bed
- Sprinkle a few drops on your wrists during your meditation
Lemongrass Oil- A summertime essential! Lemongrass to me just smells like summer nights on my mother's back porch. But the best thing about lemongrass oil is that mosquitos HATE it.
- Add a few drops to your outdoor candles to help ward off mosquitos
- Put a few drops into a neutral oil to make your own DEET free mosquito repellent
Whew! That was a ton of information. Start small. Go to whole foods or an essential oil shop and let your nose do the guiding. If your nose doesn't like it, DON'T BUY IT!